Friday, February 11, 2011

Santa isn't coming this year

Very soon my brother and his wife are going to have to take on an intense subject with my nephew. Santa Claus......and the Easter Bunny, and any other fantasy bringer of gifts and prizes. Now I understand that this has to happen, my nephew is nine, ten this year, and it is time for him to know these things aren't real. But how do you go about it? How do you take away something that has played such a part in a child's life and tell them it was never real in the first place? I do not envy them in the least, I know this will be a hard conversation to have, I just wonder the best way to go about it. I watch them when these things come up, hoping maybe I will gather something helpful for when I have to have the very same talk with my own child. I have thought about it a lot actually, how I will tell her, and how she will react. I know there will be no easy out when the time does come. I do think it's funny that as parents we are more than willing to give Santa the credit for the greatest gifts and then keep the credit for the three outfits and package of socks we also bought for our kids. I don't think I will do it that way. When I do my Christmas shopping all of the really great stuff will be from me, and all of the janky stuff will be from Santa, lol. Perhaps that way when I do tell her and she realizes that Santa won't be visiting anymore it won't be so bad. Santa never brought her anything super great anyway, haha. No, in all seriousness, I truly believe that by building these fantasies up as the greatest gift givers of all time, I would actually be making it harder for my daughter to accept that they aren't real. I think that would be like a double whammy. Not only is Santa not coming to the house anymore, but she would also probably fear losing the gifts that "Santa" brings. Believe me, I don't think that holidays are all about gifts and things, but kids do. I think the thought of losing those great gifts adds to the shock of learning there is no Santa.

When did you tell your kids? How did you tell them, and how did you decide they were ready to hear it? I would really like to know, Easter is coming up and I know that the "talk" will probably be happening before then.

Looking forward to any input! Have a wonderful, safe, and romantic Valentines weekend!!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love the opportunity to get to know my readers, always looking for new blogs to stalk too! ;-) Leave a comment,or send me an email at angelisse80@yahoo.com and tell me what you think Be sure and leave a link to your site as well so I can come and return the favor!! Happy reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...