Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Kids and the Internet

I was in the process of getting ready for work today when my sister-in-law came and and told me she had found a video I HAD to watch. Now judging by most of the other vids that we watch I was totally expecting to see something hilarious. Much to my surprise and disappointment the video was one of the saddest things I have ever seen. An 11-year old girl used her webcam to broadcast on youtube a video chock full of foul language and what I can only guess was drug induced idiocy. She spouted to all of the "haters" that they were jealous because she was perfect and so pretty. I will not name names as I truly believe this girl has very effectively just messed up her life without me adding to it. The initial video, that as I said included foul language, her talking about having intercourse with a 26-year old when she was 10(seriously!?!?!?), and how she would put her glock in her haters mouth and make brain slushies, was followed up with two more. The second two videos were so completely different from the first it was almost comical (almost). She was on crying about how all of the haters had ruined her life. Her video had gotten peoples attention, and though I think she wanted the attention, I don't think she had any idea what it was actually going to entail. A hate group hacked her computer, peoples comments on her video posts were fairly brutal and sometimes violent. So the next two videos showed a very different picture, an 11-year old girl who bit off more than she could chew and was not emotionally equipped to deal with the fall-out. I am sure that her father screaming for everyone to leave her alone or he was going to call the police really didn't help the situation.
So here is my question......when is a child old enough to handle the responsibility of having not only a computer in their room but also a webcam and unsupervised internet time?? I can tell you honestly that my daughter will under no circumstances have unrestricted, unsupervised access to the web at that age. Period. Not only are there more sicko's out there than I think nyone can wrap their head around, but also children are children, they need their parents to help guide their moral compass. I mean seriously where was this girls parents, did they not even bother to check on her internet activity. That is a joke! While I think she was responsible for her actions, I also feel sorry for her, a child does not always have the common sense or the thought for how it will impact their future before they make a decision. That is how I feel about it. My daughter will not have a computer in her room for anything but homework and possibly games, but it will not be connected to the net and there will be no internet connection. We as parents have to make decisions that will keep not only our children but our children's futures safe. I apologize for rambling, I just don't understand how things like this are allowed to happen. I hope you all have a wonderful week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love the opportunity to get to know my readers, always looking for new blogs to stalk too! ;-) Leave a comment,or send me an email at angelisse80@yahoo.com and tell me what you think Be sure and leave a link to your site as well so I can come and return the favor!! Happy reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...